Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Sailing

One of my company's offices lies on the other side of the Hudson River roughly parallel with the Manhattan financial district. It's clearly visible from many parts of New York, especially downtown, but actually lies in another state: New Jersey.

I occasionally have to go there for the odd meeting or two, and today was one of those days. There's a train that runs under the river from the World Trade Center, but I prefer the boat that departs from the pier at the end of Wall Street.

It was a beautifully clear day today, and as I whizzed across the river I gazed back on Manhattan and was struck with how beautiful New York can be when viewed from a distance. The classic vertical architecture set against the clear azure sky was simply stunning.

Things got better as I peered out of my meeting room window on the 28th floor of the destination building. The whole of downtown and midtown unfurled across the horizon, almost as far as the eye could see.

Next time I'll take my camera.

No comments: