Thursday, March 15, 2007

Sign Your Name

I was in a wonderful establishment last weekend - a place that's half wine bar, and half wine shop. Both parts of the equation keep the same business hours, so it's possible to taste and buy bottles of wine way past one in the morning. However, I was there a little earlier in the evening for a quick pre-prandial.

When it came time to pay I found myself doing something I detest: I caught the waitress's attention from across the room and then signed an invisible signature in the air to indicate that I wanted the bill.

Gah! What's happening to me?

I realise that this international standard hand movement has its benefits: it can be discreet (if done correctly), and it prevents the waitstaff from an unnecessary journey to the table and back.

I still think it looks pretty stupid. There's got to be a better way.

No comments: