Saturday, March 03, 2007

Radio Free Europe

I'm starting to enjoy listening to NPR in America. It's a little like Radio 4, and is basically a collection of non-profit radio stations that broadcast about half their programming centrally, and syndicate their own homegrown shows to the rest of the network to account for the other half.

"Car Talk" is an amusing show hosted by two genial Bostonian mechanics who give general life advice to callers under the thin veil of helping them with their motor vehicle problems.

"This American Life" is a documentary programme exploring normal people's lives and stories: it's a bit like Blighty's own "Home Truths". They recently ran a fascinating story about a group of puzzle solving geeks at MIT that make even the worst computer nerds I know look positively effervescent.

I do miss the BBC's output, though, and thank my lucky stars that some of their shows are available online. This allows me to keep up to date with favourites such as "The Now Show", "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue" and "The News Quiz" from the other side of The Pond.

I've even ventured into the realm of the podcast; a wonderful invention that allows me to take my favourite broadcasts with me as I stroll along the Hudson River of a Sunday afternoon.

Marvellous.

No comments: